Monday, March 10, 2014

Vegetarian For 40 Days

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

So Josh and I have decided to give up meat for Lent.  We really didn't decided to do this for ethical reasons ... honestly, we both LOVE our burgers.  We thought this would be a fun, healthy challenge for us.  So far we are in day 6 of it, and it is going well.

Recently I had the chance to try Chipotle's Sofritas, and they did not disappoint!  For those of you who do not know what the Sofritas is (because they are not in all Chipotles yet -- Baltimore is one of the lucky few) it is organic tofu braised with chipotle chilis, roasted poblanos, and a blend of aromatic spices.  The result is something much like a spicy/sweet ground beef.  I could get use to this Sofritas thing!

Besides the Sofritas I have also tired Subway's Veggie Flatizza.  This wasn't half bad either.  Normally I wouldn't eat at Subway after that whole plastic bread thing, but it was between Subway and McDonald's and Subway wins that fight.  I wouldn't eat a Flatizza every day, but it's good in a pinch and it's cheap.

Besides eating out we have tried a few things at home like black bean tacos, veggie risotto, and black bean burgers.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with veggie recipes and going outside my comfort zone when it comes to food.  Who knows...maybe I will never eat meat again.  Or maybe I will keep that date with a burger I have for burger and a beer night on April 22nd.  Only time will tell.



4 comments:

  1. I'd love to see more of what you eat that is vegetarian! I am interested in trying it as well, but I do not know if I have the endurance for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that bad. The worst part is when you are out and you think, "oh I will just get (insert meat item)" and then you remember you can't have meat. We have been making different types of hummus at home. Josh made broccoli alfredo last night. I will definitely post more about my vegetarian journey.

      Delete
  2. I've been a vegetarian for almost 15 years now and it couldn't imagine it any other way. It did help that I never liked the taste of meat :-) But it's an adjustement to eating differently, once you make that switch it becomes easier! Good luck on your veggie challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I never really liked meat as a kid. I only at chicken nuggets LOL. I just started eating meat as an adult, but I do get sick of it. I have to say, I'm enjoying this change. If you have an favorite veggie meals, recipes, or websites to direct me to I am all ears. Thank you :-)

      Delete

);